Saturday, January 12, 2019

Stuck In the Middle With Trump


There was a Presidential Election held in November of 2016.  Donald Trump defeated Hillary Clinton.  Now for many, this fact is difficult to grasp.  To say it was surprising is a monumental understatement.  Several people are still in the primary stage of recovery, dealing with the acknowledgement of denial.  But obliviousness will never be an effective solution in politics and it typically leads to an unceremonious collapse.  Anyway…Trump is President and most likely will be for at least another two years. 

One other quick and salient point: Donald Trump won a NATIONAL election for President held in every voting precinct across our country.  Nancy Pelosi was elected to the House of Representatives from District 12 in California; a District that is contained entirely within the city and county of San Francisco.  There is absolutely no equivalency between President Trump and Speaker Pelosi.  A handful of liberals elected Pelosi.  A nation of citizens elected Trump.  The Constitution provides three co-equal branches of government: Executive, Legislative, and Judiciary.  Contrary to what she may believe, Pelosi is not the sole and primary representative of the Legislative branch.  She represents one House of Congress, a portion of one county and city in California, and was elected Speaker by similar Democratic Representatives in the House.  She is not Madame President, an equal to the Chief Executive, or the ruling authority of Congress.  Take a reality check, Nancy.  Now…back to the subject at hand.  A bit of musical analogy…

Well I don't know why I came here tonight
I got the feeling that something ain't right
I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair
And I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs
Clowns to the left of me
Jokers to the right, here I am
Stuck in the middle with you

People who were adamantly opposed to Trump being President sounded multiple alarms about the dangers he might pose to this nation if elected.  They proclaimed he was grossly unprepared for the political and diplomatic challenges that face a President.  They questioned the application of his corporate experience in the machinations of government.  Some that were more fervently distressed about Trump’s ascension to Chief Executive publicly aired chapters of his past that portrayed his character as something less than ideal.  Following his election, many accepted the verdict of the Electoral College as an example of choosing the least of two evils; but a choice nonetheless.  There are many who have never accepted that fait accompli and continue today in an effort to invalidate, undermine, and even overturn that legitimate election result.  I think that any of us who are paying attention, any small degree of attention, to national politics realize that something ain’t right.  This is NOT the way our government should operate.  Loyal opposition in our political system is an important staple in its recipe for success.  Ruthless and partisan sabotage that places political aims above those of good government policy has no place in our country.  Some may be scared.  I think most are simply dismayed at the current state of national political affairs.  One thing is for certain in the current climate…there are clowns on Left and jokers on the Right.

Yes I'm stuck in the middle with you
And I'm wondering what it is I should do
It's so hard to keep this smile from my face
Losing control, yeah, I'm all over the place
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you

How many of us, at one time or another over the last couple of years, have not had a smile on our face?  Hey…sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying.  And as our government spirals ever closer to being out of control; we as citizens are tossed about all over the place.  It is so very difficult to find a center of gravity in the vortex of this bureaucratic carnival (try being a federal employee during a government shutdown).  We have seen political upheaval before; Watergate with Nixon and Impeachment with Clinton.  But have we ever seen the level of animus and venom directed towards a sitting President as we are witnessing today with President Trump? At some point, the humorous aspects of the political theater dissipate and we are left only with the tragedy.

Well you started out with nothing
And you're proud that you're a self made man
And your friends, they all come crawlin'
Slap you on the back and say
Please, please

Self made man?  Donald Trump?  I don’t think so.  But there is certainly no shortage of Republicans standing in line to slap him on the back…regardless of his occasional outrageousness…because HE is the one keeping them in a position of power and influence.  After all, politicians are prone to becoming enthralled with winning.   I, myself, am completely guilty of buying into support of his policies while subjugating his many fallacies to lesser levels of concern.  I continue to hope and pray that he will mature and grow into the job…but time is running out.  The Republicans are certainly guilty of swallowing Trump whole in spite of his failings.  The Democrats are certainly guilty of opposing Trump simply because he defeated their chosen candidate in a monumental upset and reminds them of that fact at every opportunity…in word, deed, and presence.

Trying to make some sense of it all
But I can see that it makes no sense at all
Is it cool to go to sleep on the floor
'Cause I don't think that I can take anymore
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you

After two years of trying to make some sense out of our government with Trumpmania versus the Resist Movement and how it dysfunctions, how many of us have basically surrendered?  Is it OK to simply give up caring and start to mentally sleep on the floor?  Is a pacifist approach to democracy acceptable when things get this crazy?  At what point can we as individual voters legitimately throw up our hands in disgust and shout to the world…What is the point?

Well I don't know why I came here tonight
I got the feeling that something ain't right
I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair
And I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs
Clowns to the left of me
Jokers to the right, here I am
Stuck in the middle with you
Yes I'm stuck in the middle with you
Stuck in the middle with you, here I am stuck in the middle with you

In spite of this refrain, it is NOT cool to give up on our government and allow the weariness to make observers out of us.  We MUST do our research, become informed voters, and remove the clowns and the jokers from the halls of Congress, the Judiciary, and the Executive Branch.  In spite of partisan differences, we MUST acknowledge the hard shifts of power that regularly occur in our form of government and accept that change graciously when our party moves between the positions of power and subservience.  We MUST come to grips with the art of tolerating differences of opinion (looking at you, AOC) and engaging in civil discussion; yet not allow ourselves to be cowered into the blind acceptance of radical ideals when they are patently stupid and baseless.  We MUST understand that the human creature is a fallible being; that it is perhaps true that a saint might not make the best President, and we must accept a certain reasonable degree of imperfection from our politicians. 

I hope and pray that there are a lot…a LOT…of people out there like me who feel like they are stuck in the middle between the far left and the far right…with Trump in the White House.  And as the classic lyrics of the Stealers Wheel song go, it can be extremely disorienting and depressing.  We must all cling to the truth that our allegiance to America is much larger than that we may owe to any elected official or Party.  All things pass…and this political madness too shall pass. 

Don’t miss the next post!  Follow on Twitter
@centerlineright.  If you enjoy the blog, pass it on to your friends.

BTW…the Scottish and Irish flavor of songs such as the Stealers Wheel subject material, are a refreshing change from much of today’s pablumatic mush that passes for music.  If you are interested in some lyrical exploration, I recommend starting with Crossing the River by the Devlins.  And just to clarify my poke at Ms. Ocasio-Cortez…I frankly find her refreshing and interesting.  Yes, she is shallow and bubble-headed on many occasions; but she is speaking her mind with conviction without running it through some hypocritical-how will this make me look-is it politically correct-how will this sit with my Party leaders filter before talking.  In spite of her ill-conceived policy proposals (New Green Deal….Really??), her enthusiasm for democracy is dynamic and her willingness to speak from the heart is a novelty in today’s political climate.  Also…I find nothing whatsoever wrong with her dancing and for those who do…get a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Musical HIGHLIGHTS and Political lowlights

Music is one of the great blessings in this life: and when it is done right… especially live …it can take you places like nothing else can. ...