Tuesday, July 30, 2024

A Short Note to Close Out a Chaotic Month

I have posted more often than usual this month and this will be one final shot at relevance; I am a notoriously bad shot.  I know full well that quantity does not translate into quality, so rest assured…that is not my aim.  There are two quick thoughts I want to share regarding this month’s big political stories.

 

First off, I must confess to a rising level of anger and frustration towards Donald Trump.   I sincerely offer my congratulations and good wishes on his narrow escape from the bullet and his physical and mental recovery; he certainly appears to be progressing well.  My ill feelings stem from the fact that he made what in my opinion was a very poor choice in his Veep selection.  J.D. Vance may turn out to be a wonderfully positive surprise for the Republican presidential ticket; he may set the world on fire with stirring rhetoric and campaign charisma.   That would truly please me to no end.

 

However, I fear this will not be the case.  I suspect that he was a last second, gut reaction selection made by the Donald…perhaps with the prodding of certain family members.  The Vance rollout has been far less than impressive and his political record, such as it is, does not appear to be one that will greatly impress the Republican faithful nor the undecided voter.  At best, he is a neutral pick for the ticket.  At worst, he will be a drag.  I am afraid that to a large degree, Trump will have to carry him.  Hopefully, the Veep pick will not matter to a great degree.

 

This race is far too critical for our nation to watch Trump make (what appears to be) a frivolous choice like this when so many better options are available.  This lack of discipline and forethought is troubling when one considers the long and arduous road that will lead to this November’s election.   I fear the election may be sufficiently close that a poor choice like this might come back in a haunting fashion. 

 

As I contemplate what lies ahead in this campaign, I surely hope the Republican Party does not live to rue its choice of Trump as a candidate, and candidate Trump does not regret his choice of Vance as a partner.  If these selections end up being lost opportunities in the long run, it will be a sad, sad day for our country.  Kamala Harris is that much of a threat.

 

My second closing observation is in regards to the coronation of queen Kamala.  She has been the unofficial nominee for about eight days or so and the progressive cabal with all of its allies seems to be maintaining their high level of enthusiasm and praise they are so lavishly foisting upon her.  My gut tells me that at some point, the blush must fall from the rose and all will see Harris for what she has always been and is.  In any reasonable universe, that would be a kiss of political death.  But every day that goes by without that sheet being pulled back is another day fraught with a lingering fear that they …just …might …pull …this …off.

 

The stakes in this election are so very high…the premium for political victory by the opposing elements is so precious…that we must all expect extraordinary measures to be taken in an effort to achieve victory.  I will freely admit that my confidence in the common sense quotient of the average American voter is pretty shaken and I harbor a great fear that somehow, someway, the Democrats will figure out a way to hang onto the levers of power they now possess and will be granted another four years to remake this nation.  That would be a tragedy beyond description.

 

I realize that there will be ebb and flow to this presidential campaign and what exists today will be totally different tomorrow…and it will undoubtedly morph multiple times beyond that.  I fervently hope that Donald Trump is a much smarter version than he was the last time he ran for president; that this time around, his discipline is greater and his ego is more manageable.  I also hope that the Republican Party has finally broken its old habit of bringing knives to gunfights with the Democrats.  This is one fight they surely need to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Musical HIGHLIGHTS and Political lowlights

Music is one of the great blessings in this life: and when it is done right… especially live …it can take you places like nothing else can. ...